|"shoot down" = stop something|
"He shot down my idea of ordering pizza because it was too expensive to order."
"bark up the wrong tree" = make an incorrect choice or arrive at an inaccurate conclusion
"I told you. I didn't take your book. You're really barking up the wrong tree."
More of Randall's Favorite Learning Resources
[ Quiz Script ]
What are some reasons why people hunt for animals? Is hunting legal in your area? What types of weapons are used for hunting?
|I. Pre-Listening Exercises [Top]|
HELPFUL TIP: Wearing the proper clothing can be critical in hunting situations. In some places, the law requires hunters to put on colorful outer clothing so that they are visible to other hunters, yet still invisible to colorblind animals.|
I. Listen to the conversation by pressing the "Play Audio" button and answer the questions. Press the "Final Score" button to check your quiz.
|II. Listening Exercises [Top]|
[ Other Audio Options: Play Window Media ]
II. Listen to the conversation again as you read the Quiz Script.
|III. Vocabulary Activities [Top]|
|Review the key vocabulary from the conversation:
[ Why do these? ]
Discuss the different positions, for and against, hunting in general and in your area if permitted. Include in your discussion ideas related to the possible need for providing food, regulating natural animal populations, and hunting for sport. If hunting is permitted, how can people do it responsibly?
|IV. Post-Listening Exercises [Top]|
In many places where hunting is permitted, laws and regulations often have been established to regulate hunting safety and practices. Select a place in the world to determine if hunting of any kind is permitted. Use the Internet to answer the following questions:
- Is hunting of any kind permitted?
- What kinds of animals may be hunted?
- Are there specific seasons when hunting is permitted?
- What type of hunting license is required, and how much does it cost?
- Are hunters required to take classes or go through specific hunter's training to receive a license or permit to hunt animals?
- Is there a limit on the number of animals that can be taken during a hunt?
- What penalties are imposed if hunters violate any laws?
- Are there any environmental reasons why limited hunting can help regulate animal populations in some cases? If so, give a specific example
Randall's Sites: Daily ESL | ESL Blog | EZSlang | Train Your Accent | Tips For Students | Hiking In Utah