[ Back to Quiz | Text Completion Quiz ]
Adsense: Making Money Online|
Listen to the conversation again by pressing the Play Audio button and read along with the conversation. Review the
and the sample sentences.
[ Other Audio Options: Play RealMedia | Play Window Media ]
Welcome to today's news segment, highlighting business opportunities on the Internet. One such opportunity is a program called Adsense from the major search engine, Google. Basically, Adsense is a simple and easy way for Website owners to place discreet ads on their sites as a means of earning income. You simply insert certain lines of code and then receive a certain percentage of resulting revenue.
What is so nice about this program is that it is very simple and straightforward to implement and maintain. Here are some points you should keep in mind.
- First, the program is free to join.
- Next, you only have to add a snippet of code to each page to display the ads.
- Also, Google serves up ads on your pages that are relevant to your site's content. These ads also enhance the content and substance of your own pages.
- Also, the ads are less noticeable (and annoying) than pop-up or pop-under ads, and you can customize the look and feel, and placement of the ads.
- Furthermore, you don't have to deal with advertisers since Google manages the entire program.
- Finally, an online area gives you statistics as to the performance of your account.
As you can see, the Adsense program can be beneficial to both sides in allowing advertisers to spread the word about their products and services, while Websites who display the ads can earn money to support their own businesses or interests. Visit the Google Web site and read the Terms of Service to learn more about this program and see if Adsense is right for you.
- discreet (adjective): careful not to attract attention or cause embarrassment
- Sometimes, doctors have to be very discreet when talking with their family about patients.
- means (noun): method or way
- Many advertisers use almost any means to persuade customers to buy their products.
- straightforward (adjective): simple, direct, and clear
- I suggest you use a straightforward approach when dealing with the problem with your girlfriend.
- implement (verb): put into action
- The company president decided to implement a new training program to improve employee morale.
- relevant (adjective): having some connection to a certain subject
- If a Website is relevant to the needs of its visitors, people will return to use it again and again.
- enhance (verb): improve or make better
- You can enhance your Website by making it easier to navigate.
- annoying (adjective): making you feel bothered by or unhappy with something
- I can't stand annoying ads that try to get you to buy unwanted products.
- customize (verb): change something to make it more appropriate or suitable for you
- Many people customize their computers the way they like them.
- spread the word (idiom): tell or announce something to a lot of people
- Hey. Tom is getting married. Spread the word!
- display (verb): show
- Some Web sites display to raise money to support their sites.
Now, do these exercises to review the vocabulary. Then, return back to the Post-Listening Exercise to use the vocabulary in real conversations.